County Information City Information What to do in Scioto County Things to know for those interested in relocating Devleopment information More information on services in our county! Shawnee State University
Lucasville (Valley)



View Larger Map

While the territory of Valley Township was as early settled permanently as any in the county, Valley Township did not come into existence until 1860, which was then too late for the United States census of that year. It was first a portion of Seal Township. A few years after, or in 1814, Seal Township elected its last Assessor and in 1815 that on the west side of the river was given to Union Township and the east side to Jefferson. This remained the territory of Jefferson until June 4, 1860.



The area of the Township is 15,477 acres of land and the Township is bounded on the north by Pike County, on the east by Jefferson Township, on the south by Clay Township and on the west by the Scioto River, which separates it from Rush and Morgan Townships.

The first settler of Valley Township was Hezekiah Merritt, who planted the first corn in the Township, one of three corn crops raised in the summer of 1796. Mr. Merritt several years after removed to Ross County, but he was the First Justice of the Peace in that section of the county in 1804-06. Jacob Groninger came in 1798; then Henry Spangler, Wm Marsh, Jas. O. Johnson, Isaac N. Johnson, A.F. Miller, Mark Snyder and Caleb B. Crull. The oldest settlers are: L. Groninger, W.A. Marsh, Jas. D. Thomas, Jno. L. Jones, G.O. James and Joseph Brandt, Sr.

Valley Township is all that its name implies, for it lies wholly within the valley of the Scioto, on the east side of the river and extends back to the hills with only an average width of perhaps two and a half miles, or a little over. It is, of course, the best agricultural township in the County.

Lucasville is the only village in Valley Township and is pleasantly situated upon a rising eminence, sloping to the west on the bank of the stream that forms the island in the Scioto River, opposite the place. The distance from Portsmouth and the Ohio River is ten miles, nearly due north and the Scioto Valley Railroad passes within its limits. The village of Lucasville was laid out by Captain John Lucas in June 1819 and the record of the survey received and recorded Aug. 7, 1819. Captain Lucas built the first tavern in the village and kept it until his death in 1825. His house, for a long time, was headquarters for the Democratic leaders of Southern Ohio.

The above information abstracted from the Newsletter of SCCOGS and from the publication "History of the Lower Scioto Valley" both of which contains more information on the above township and individuals.



UPDATED 7.21.15
Have a question? Missing link? Another concern? Please contact us!


     HOME        CONTACT        ABOUT        COUNTY        CITIES        RELOCATION        DEVELOPMENT        FORMS        SERVICES        SSU    


   602 SEVENTH STREET  -  ROOM 1  -  PORTSMOUTH, OHIO 45662         P (740) 355-8313      F (740) 353-7358            SCIOTOCOUNTYOHIO.COM  


       2015 SCIOTO COUNTY OHIO - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED                 SITE DESIGN BY: CROSSSIDE DESIGNS                   DISCLAIMER